July 9, 2003
ROSEMEAD, Calif., July 9, 2003 – In the desert areas of Southern California Edison’s service area, hot summer days send temperatures into the triple digits. The utility is urging customers in these extreme climates to visit www.sce.com/warm to learn how to protect their health and save energy and money at the same time.
“At SCE, we understand that the summer months can be difficult for customers who live and work in regions hard-hit by extreme temperatures,” said Suzanne Middelburg, SCE’s manager of Consumer Affairs. “We have a new Web page devoted to providing customers with practical tips, programs and services that can help them remain comfortable more affordably.”
By clicking on www.sce.com/warm, customers will find information on:
- The California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) program, which provides a 20% discount on electric rates for income-qualified customers.
- The Medical Baseline program, which allows additional electric usage, charged at the lowest rate, if someone in the household has a medical condition that requires the use of electrically powered equipment or has a qualifying illness. A doctor’s certification is required.
- Rebates for qualifying energy-efficient products such as programmable thermostats, pool pumps and central and room air conditioners.
- How to stay cool and estimate the cost of running various electric appliances, by linking to SCE’s interactive Appliance Energy Estimator.
- A Heat Index chart to show that when humidity is added to high temperatures, exposure becomes significantly more dangerous for babies, young children and the elderly.
Customers can also click on a video that shows how to save energy and money on hot days.
“We’re committed to providing the tools and resources to help our customers save energy, save money and stay cool during the most brutal months of summer,” said Middelberg.
For more information on SCE’s programs and services, please call (800) 655-4555.
A photo of a programmable thermostat is available for your use by visiting www.edisonnews.com and clicking on Photo Gallery.
# # #
An Edison International company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of more than 12 million via 4.5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within central, coastal and Southern California.