... Southern California Edison Urges Customers to Reduce Power Use
Media Contact: Media Relations, (626) 302-2255
California Independent System Operator Alert Effective through the Weekend
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Aug. 9, 2012 — The California Independent System Operator issued a Flex Alert that will begin at 9 a.m. Friday and last through Sunday to urge California businesses, governments and residents to reduce electricity use voluntarily.
The request made today, which will remain in effect through 6 p.m. Sunday, was made because of increased demand for electricity due to the heat wave.
As California’s power reserves continue to fall and local temperatures rise, the state’s independent system operator and Southern California Edison (SCE) are urging customers to reduce their electricity use.
Should the situation worsen for any reason and power reserves drop to dangerous levels, the independent system operator could direct utilities to conduct involuntary rotating outages — for blocks of customers — across their service areas until sufficient reserve levels are achieved.
SCE recommends that customers:
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees.
- Use electric fans instead of air conditioning when practical.
- Turn off unused appliances and equipment.
- Shut off lights when leaving a room.
- Avoid using evaporative coolers or humidifiers when an air conditioner is running.
- Operate energy-intensive appliances during early morning or evening hours.
- Limit the opening and reopening of refrigerators.
- When possible, businesses should shift power-intensive work processes to off-peak times.
For updates, follow SCE on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SCE and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SCE.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.
Update: Grid Operator Declares Statewide Flex Alert Beginning Friday; Southern California Edison Urges Customers to Reduce Power Use
El Operador Independiente del Sistema de California Declara una Alerta Flex para todo el Estado, Southern California Edison Exhorta a sus Usuarios a Reducir su Consumo Eléctrico
加州獨立系統運營商宣佈全州Flex-Alert節能警訊， Southern California Edison 敦促客戶減少用電