SCE’s Online “Plug-In Car Rate Assistant” Provides Electric Vehicle Fuel Costs
Media Contact: Paul Klein (626) 302-2255
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Nov 18, 2010 — Southern California Edison (SCE) today joined the Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA) in launching www.GoElectricDrive.com, EDTA’s new comprehensive website that provides consumers with information about buying, owning and driving plug-in electric vehicles.
At www.GoElectricDrive.com, consumers can calculate savings, find incentives, learn about topics ranging from batteries and vehicle charging to environmental benefits, watch informational videos and view some of the new plug-in electric vehicles available or coming soon to auto showrooms in the U.S.
“Southern California’s expected to be one of the first and potentially one of the largest markets for plug-in electric vehicles in the country,” said Pedro Pizarro, executive vice president, Power Operations. “SCE is committed to assisting customers as they select a plug-in electric vehicle. It’s important to understand the process of getting ready, from selecting a rate and charging options to understanding what individual households need to do to get plug-in ready.”
At www.sce.com/pev, SCE customers can find the utility’s online “Plug-In Car Rate Assistant.” It helps estimate the cost of fueling an electric vehicle and the impact on a customer’s electricity bill.
After providing facts such as location, daily power usage, vehicle type (such as a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle or battery-electric vehicle), mileage and time of day use (on- or off-peak), the plug-in car rate assistant will provide an estimated comparison of the average monthly electricity and gasoline bills.
The website also offers a host of valuable resources for customers to consider before purchasing an electric vehicle. They can go to www.sce.com/pev and take the following important steps:
Complete SCE’s Getting Plug-In Ready Checklist
- Review vehicle charging options and recommendations.
- Become familiar with SCE’s electric vehicle rate options and charging implications.
- Hire an electrical contractor to evaluate current residential charging capabilities and to provide an estimate for any electrical work needed to make the home plug-in ready.
Contact SCE to Select an Electric Vehicle Rate
- Discuss vehicle choice and charging preferences, and explore electric vehicle rate options by calling an SCE representative at 1 (800) 4EV-INFO, or 1 (800) 438-4636. SCE customers have three rate options to choose from. They can keep their standard residential rate, switch to a single time-of-use rate for the entire house, or add a second meter to track the electric vehicle energy usage.
Perform any Necessary Home Equipment Upgrades
- Authorize an electrical contractor to obtain required permits and complete desired electrical work.
- Obtain any required city electrical inspections.
SCE’s new plug-in car rate assistant is part of the company’s ongoing electric vehicle readiness effort focused on educating customers.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.