Media Contact: Media Relations, (626) 302-2255
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Dec. 22, 2011 — About 1,440 customers were without service this afternoon throughout Southern California Edison's (SCE) service area resulting from moderate to high winds.
As of 5 p.m. PST, the hardest hit areas were Garden Grove, 480 customers; Stanton, 326 customers; San Bernardino, 110 customers; and Tustin, 36 customers. Crews were working to restore service as safely and quickly as possible.
Moderate to high winds are forecast until early afternoon Friday in Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties, especially in the mountains, canyons and passes.
SCE is providing information about wind-related outages at www.sce.com, on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/SoCalEdison and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/SoCalEdison.
Customer safety is a top priority for SCE. If you see a downed line or dangling wire — even if it appears not to be live — don’t touch or approach it and call 911 immediately.
Here are important tips to keep in mind:
- Watch for traffic signals that may be out. Approach those intersections as four-way stops, as the law requires.
- Make sure you have a battery-operated radio and flashlights. Check the batteries to make sure they are fresh. Use flashlights for lighting during a power outage; do not use candles because they may pose a significant fire hazard.
- Do not use any equipment inside that is designed for outdoor heating or outdoor cooking. Such equipment can emit carbon monoxide and other toxic gases.
- If you use a generator, place it outdoors and plug individual appliances directly into the generator, using a heavy-duty extension cord. Connecting generators directly to household circuits creates “backfeed,” which is dangerous to repair crews.
- Leave the doors of your refrigerator and freezer closed to keep your food as fresh as possible. Place blocks of ice inside to help keep food cold. Check food carefully for signs of spoilage.
- Check on your neighbors to make sure everyone is safe.
A video and fact sheet about power line safety is available at: www.sce.com/powerlines. The information is available in Spanish at: www.sce.com/cables.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.
Moderate Winds Have Small Impact This Afternoon Throughout Southern California Edison's Service Area