Media Contact: Media Relations, (626) 302-2255
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Oct, 4, 2013 — With high winds impacting various parts of Southern California Edison’s (SCE) service territory, the company wants to remind its customers that outages may occur and to never approach or touch downed power lines.
The National Weather Service predicts that wind speeds ranging from 25 mph to 45 mph will continue today in Los Angeles, Ventura, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties, with gusts up to 60 mph. High winds are expected to last until Sunday morning. SCE has personnel, including restoration and repair crews, standing by.
If you see a downed power line or dangling wire — even if it appears not to be live — don’t touch or approach it or anything that is in contact with it and call 911 immediately.
Customers may report unplanned outages at 1-800-655-4555.
SCE will provide the latest information about outages at its website and on Facebook and Twitter. Call Center representatives also will handle additional customer inquiries.
Customer safety is a top priority for SCE. Here are important tips to keep in mind:
- Watch for traffic signals that may be out. Approach those intersections as four-way stops.
- Make sure you have a battery-operated radio and flashlights. Check the batteries to make sure they are fresh. Use flashlights for lighting during a power outage; do not use candles because they may pose a significant fire hazard.
- Do not use any equipment inside that is designed for outdoor heating or cooking. Such equipment can emit carbon monoxide and other toxic gases.
- If you use a generator, place it outdoors and plug individual appliances directly into it, using a heavy-duty extension cord. Connecting generators directly to household circuits creates “backfeed,” which is dangerous to repair crews.
- Check on your neighbors to make sure everyone is safe.
A video and fact sheet about power-line safety is available at: www.SCE.com/staysafe. The information is also available in Spanish.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.