Southern California Edison Media Contact: Lois Pitter Bruce, (626) 302-2255
Edison Mission Group Media Contact: Susan Olavarria, (312) 583-6125
High School Seniors in 14 States Could Get $10,000 in Scholarships
ROSEMEAD, Calif., March 1, 2011 — High school seniors in 14 states are encouraged to apply for Edison International’s annual Edison Scholars program. Selected recipients will get $2,500 scholarships, renewable for an additional three years for a total of $10,000. The application deadline is March 15.
This year, Edison International will award 125 scholarships to coincide with the company’s landmark 125th anniversary. For the first time, the number of awardees has been expanded to include students in 14 states where the company generates and distributes electricity, and requirements have been changed so recipients can attend any accredited U.S. university.
Applications will be accepted from students living in Southern California Edison’s (SCE) service territory in California, or those attending designated schools in Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming — where Edison International’s Edison Mission Group (EMG) and Midwest Generation provide service.
The annual scholarships are renewable provided recipients meet all eligibility requirements. Winners will be notified in June. Applicants should be:
- High school seniors who live, or attend a public or private school, in areas serviced by SCE, or attend an eligible high school in the designated area surrounding SCE’s San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station.
- High school seniors who attend an eligible school in designated areas serviced by EMG and its subsidiaries.
- Planning to attend an accredited four-year college in the U.S.
- Full-time students majoring in math, physics, chemistry, engineering, materials science or computer science/information systems.
- Students with a cumulative grade point average of 2.8 or higher.
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
To download an application and get more details about the Edison Scholars program, including lists of eligible schools and colleges, please go to www.edison.com/edisonscholars. For media inquiries in California, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; for media inquiries from states outside California, e-mail email@example.com.
About Edison International
Edison International (NYSE:EIX), through its subsidiaries, is a generator and distributor of electric power and an investor in infrastructure and energy assets, including renewable energy. Headquartered in Rosemead, Calif., Edison International is the parent company of Southern California Edison, one of the nation’s largest utilities, and Edison Mission Group, a competitive power generation business and parent company to Edison Mission Energy and Edison Capital.
Edison International’s Annual Scholars Program Nears March 15 Deadline