ROSEMEAD, Calif., Feb. 28, 2014 — Southern California Edison (SCE) damage assessment and repair crews continue to make progress restoring power to customers affected by weather-related outages tonight.
With the continuing severe weather and hazardous conditions predicted through the night and into Saturday, some customers’ service may not be restored until the morning or during daytime hours.
As of 9 p.m., 21,000 customers are without service across its 50,000 square-mile service area.
SCE will provide the latest information about outages as they become available on its website and on Facebook and Twitter. Customers may report outages at 1-800-611-1911, online or through the SCE Outages app.
If you see a downed power line or dangling wire — even if it appears not to be live — don’t touch or approach it or anything that is in contact with it and call 911 immediately.
SCE continues to remind customers of steps they can take to be prepared for outages:
- Place flashlights in handy locations, such as near telephones.
- Install surge protectors to help safeguard valuable electronic equipment such as computers and home entertainment systems.
- Know where to find each utility box (electricity, water and gas) and how to turn them off. Keep the proper tools to do so handy.
- Always back up important work and files on your computer.
- If you have an automatic garage door or gate, learn how to open them manually (without power)
- Consider keeping at least one car at least half full with fuel. Gas stations need electricity to pump gas and will be shut down during an outage. Please note that stockpiling gasoline is NOT recommended. Gasoline is a hazardous, combustible substance. Portable gasoline generators should never be used inside homes, garages, office buildings or other enclosed spaces.
- Make a safety preparedness plan for your family that includes a list and location of the above items. Be prepared to meet the special needs of infants, and elderly or disabled family members. Also plan how you will care for any pets.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.