The recent heat wave that baked large parts of California broke some record high temperatures. And Southern California Edison (SCE) customers did their part to conserve energy to help contribute to the reliability of our electric system.
During the five-day heat wave, SCE residential and business customers helped to reduce peak demand by as much as 300 megawatts, enough to meet the energy demands of about 200,000 homes at a point in time.
“When our customers commit to save energy, they not only get the financial benefit, but they help keep the lights on for their neighbors,” said Mark Wallenrod, SCE director of Demand-Side Management Operations. “The great news is that we have programs for virtually every customer, whether you’re a renter or home owner, or a farm, a business or a school.”
On the hottest days, SCE held 17 “demand response” events where residential and business customers take part by powering down or using energy-intensive appliances in the evening or early morning hours. These conservation measures help to enhance the stability of the power grid.
Some of SCE’s demand response programs for residences and businesses include:
- Summer Discount Plan: Residential and commercial customers receive a monthly incentive in exchange for SCE’s ability to remotely cycle off their air conditioner during peak times.
- Save Power Day: Residential customers with activated smart meters receive bill credits if they reduce load during events called by SCE.
- Summer Advantage Incentive: Commercial customers receive reduced demand charges in exchange for SCE’s ability to charge high rates during a specified number of events each year.
- Demand Bidding: Commercial and industrial customers receive energy payments in exchange for nominating a predetermined amount of load they will reduce on an event-by-event basis.
- Capacity Bidding: Commercial, industrial or agricultural customers receive energy and capacity payments in exchange for nominating a predetermined amount of load they will reduce each month if asked by SCE.
- Aggregator Managed Portfolio: Third-party aggregators deliver load to SCE on behalf of commercial and industrial customers, receiving payments in exchange for nominating a predetermined amount of load they will reduce each month if asked by SCE.
- Real-Time Pricing: Large commercial and industrial customers take advantage of low off-peak rates in exchange for increased rates during high temperature days.
- Agricultural & Pumping Interruptible: Agricultural customers receive a monthly incentive in exchange for SCE’s ability to remotely interrupt pumping load.
- Base Interruptible: Large commercial and industrial customers receive a monthly incentive in exchange for reducing energy to a predetermined level with 15 or 30 minutes of notice if asked by SCE.
To explore SCE’s incentive programs, visit www.SCE.com/summer.