August 29, 2007
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Aug. 29, 2007—Southern California Edison (SCE) is strongly urging customers today to conserve energy following a Stage One Emergency declaration by the California Independent System Operator (Cal-ISO).
A Stage One declaration usually is made by Cal-ISO when power reserves fall below 7 percent.
Cal-ISO said the Stage One Emergency, which was declared at 3:20 p.m., PDT, was scheduled to be in effect until 8 p.m., PDT today. Cal-ISO and SCE are making urgent appeals for all customers to immediately reduce their electricity consumption this afternoon and early evening when electricity usage spikes.
Here are some effective ways to reduce power use:
- Conservation Tips at Home
- Set thermostats at 78 degrees or higher and use fans.
- Give appliances and power tools the afternoon off — especially between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Block direct sunlight from over-heating rooms.
- Use clothes and dish washers only for full loads.
- Close doors and vents to unoccupied rooms.
- Avoid using evaporative coolers or humidifiers at the same time an air conditioner is running.
- Open windows during evening hours to take advantage of cool breezes.
- Limit the reopening of a refrigerator, which is a major user of electricity in most homes.
- Keep your refrigerator or freezer set at the proper temperature.
- Be sure to use the “power-saver” switch if your refrigerator has one.
- Keep the condenser coils behind or beneath your refrigerator/freezer clean (refrigerators represent approximately 25 percent of the electric bill for a typical residence).
- Use drapes and blinds to keep out direct sunlight.
- Run swimming pool equipment during early morning and evening hours.
- Conservation Tips for Businesses
- Set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher and use fans.
- Shut off lights in unused areas.
- When possible, shift power-intensive work processes to morning or evening hours.
- Turn off all auxiliary or redundant machinery where possible.
- Consider shifting or staggering operations outside the hours of highest electrical demand, typically noon to 6 p.m.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with ENERGY STAR-qualified compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Be sure your home has adequate insulation.
Find energy efficiency tips, safety information and what to do in case of an outage at www.sce.com.
# # #
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of more than 13 million via 4.8 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within central, coastal and Southern California.