November 15, 2007
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Nov. 15, 2007 — In its quest to gather 100,000 pledges to switch to ultra-efficient light bulbs, Southern California Edison (SCE) is encouraging people to change a light and become a star.
SCE has set up a Web site (www.sce.com/cfl) where people can submit videos or photos starring at least one compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulb. The winning entries will be chosen Dec. 14 and will be featured in a commercial scheduled to be broadcast later that month.
SCE leads the nation in energy efficiency. During the past five years, SCE’s energy efficiency programs have saved more than 4 billion kilowatt-hours — enough energy to power 500,000 homes for an entire year. The programs have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by more than 2 million tons — the equivalent of removing 250,000 cars from the road.
“A simple thing like using a compact fluorescent light bulb will be highly effective for saving energy and money,” said Lynda Ziegler, senior vice president of SCE’s Customer Service Business Unit. “Our customers lead the nation in their energy efficiency efforts. We hope that they’ll continue to make Southern California a cleaner and healthier place to live by taking this next step — pledging to switch out their bulbs. In doing so, they’ll save money, energy and the environment.”
The “Change a Light, Change the World” campaign is part of a national effort by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and ENERGY STAR in which people pledge to switch at least one bulb to a CFL. SCE customers can receive a free natural woven bracelet when they make a pledge.
Among the characteristics of CFLs:
- CFLs use about a quarter of the energy and last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent lighting.
- CFLs provide similar features as traditional incandescent light bulbs and come in several varieties, including floodlights and recessed canister lights.
- CFLs cost between $1 and $15 (for specialty bulbs), and many come with discounts and rebates. In addition, they save about $30 or more per bulb in energy costs over their lifetime. SCE subsidizes the sale of CFL light bulbs throughout its service territory so they are less expensive for its customers.
- CFLs are now available with many warm and bright light qualities.
- CFLs come in all shapes and sizes and can be used in almost any fixture. Some can be used with dimmers, timers and three-way switches. Each bulb’s packaging describes its intended uses and what types and wattage of incandescent light bulbs it will replace.
- If every household in California swapped out five incandescent light bulbs for CFLs, the greenhouse gas emissions reductions would be equivalent to taking more than 400,000 cars off the road.
Those wishing to pledge to switch out lights, or to submit their videos and photos, can get more information by visiting www.sce.com/cfl.
# # #
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is the largest electric utility in California, serving a population of more than 13 million via 4.8 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.