Media Contact: Vanessa McGrady, (626) 302-2255
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Dec. 28, 2010 — Southern California Edison (SCE) realizes that despite an economic uptick, many of its customers are still struggling to make ends meet. SCE offers many ways to help customers whether it is making sure they are on the right rate plan, working on alternate payment options or helping them to get free energy-efficient appliances.
Though 97 percent of those eligible have signed up, SCE estimates that there are still about 60,000 customers who are eligible for discounts on their electricity bills through the California Alternative Rates for Energy (CARE) plan, but have not enrolled.
All customers have to do is make a phone call to the utility or go online to get started. SCE offers a range of programs to those customers who qualify for assistance including:
- The CARE program provides a discount of 20 percent or more on customers’ monthly electric bills.
- The Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) program allows a discounted rate on the monthly bill for families of three or more who fall within the income guidelines and exceed their baseline usage by 30 percent or more.
- The Energy Savings Assistance Program (ESAP), formerly called the Energy Management Assistance program, helps income-qualified households conserve energy and reduce their electricity costs. SCE supplies and installs energy-efficient appliances and equipment at no cost to eligible customers. ESAP services are available to homeowners and renters.
- The Energy Assistance Fund (EAF) grants up to $100 per year to help customers who cannot pay their electric bills. The grants are administered by community-based assistance agencies. EAF is funded by donations from SCE employees, customers and Edison International, SCE’s publicly held parent company.
- Customers who rely on electronic medical equipment may be eligible for the Medical Baseline discounted rate.
SCE can help any customer, regardless of income, with payment arrangements. Customers who need additional help should call 211 to connect with community service programs throughout California.
To learn more about these and other programs, please visit www.sce.com/assistance or call 1 (800) 369-3652.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of more than 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.