Media Contact: Mashi Nyssen, (626) 302-2255
ROSEMEAD, Calif., July 11, 2012 — With summer officially here and temperatures rising, Southern California Edison (SCE) is offering customers safe and comfortable ways to beat the heat.
"Our first priority is keeping our customers safe and comfortable, while ensuring grid reliability during hot summer days," said Mark Wallenrod, SCE’s director of Programs and Operations, Customer Energy Efficiency and Solar. "We offer a suite of programs for residential and business customers that can help reduce electricity usage and keep bills down."
One way customers can escape the heat is to come to an SCE Cool Center now open through the summer season in targeted community buildings in SCE’s service territory. The centers are for everyone, especially for the very young, elderly and those at risk for heat-related illnesses.
"It's important to stay cool and drink a lot of water during the warm summer months," continued Wallenrod. "Turn on air conditioning or house fans to cool your home down. SCE has many programs that can help customers use energy wisely while staying cool."
For a list of centers in Kern, Tulare, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, please go to: www.sce.com/coolcenter.
To help prevent heat-related illnesses, SCE reminds customers to:
- Dress for the heat. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. It is also a good idea to wear hats or to use an umbrella.
- Drink water. Carry water or juice with you and drink continuously even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine which dehydrate the body.
- Take regular breaks when engaged in physical activity on warm days. Take time out to find a cool place. If you recognize that you, or someone else, is showing signs of a heat-related illness, stop and find a cool place.
SCE also recommends some tips to help customers use energy more wisely during the summer:
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees.
- Give appliances the afternoon off. Run washers, dryers and dishwashers after 6 p.m. and only when full.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.