ROSEMEAD, Calif., Feb. 28, 2014 — As Southern California Edison (SCE) crews work safely and quickly to restore power to areas affected by weather-related outages, the company reminds customers to prepare for the next wave of the rainstorm that is already impacting some parts of the Southland.
As of 4 p.m., 36,000 customers are without service across SCE’s 50,000 square-mile service area.
The company has scheduled additional crews this weekend, which includes restoration and repair crews. However, SCE reminds customers the severe weather could result in service interruptions during the evening hours, and that they should take steps now in their homes and businesses to be prepared.
If you see a downed power line or dangling wire — even if it appears not to be live — don’t touch or approach it or anything that is in contact with it and call 911 immediately.
SCE encourages customers to get ready for potential outages by taking the following measures:
- Place flashlights in handy locations, such as near telephones.
- Install surge protectors to help safeguard valuable electronic equipment, such as computers and home entertainment systems.
- Know where to find each utility box (electricity, water and gas) and how to turn them off. Keep the proper tools to do so handy.
- Always back up important work and files on your computer.
- If you have an automatic garage door or gate, learn how to open them manually (without power).
- Consider keeping at least one car at least half full with fuel. Gas stations need electricity to pump gas and will be shut down during an outage. Please note that stockpiling gasoline is not recommended. Gasoline is a hazardous, combustible substance. Portable gasoline generators should never be used inside homes, garages, office buildings or other enclosed spaces.
- Make a safety preparedness plan for your family that includes a list and location of the above items. Be prepared to meet the special needs of infants and elderly or disabled family members. Also plan how you will care for any pets.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.